Vaccine Reactions from the Flu Shot
Most people who get a flu shot don’t have any significant side effects. But a small percentage do experience severe adverse reactions. These reactions often involve the body’s neurological and autoimmune system.
The U.S. Government created the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program to help payout damages to people injured by severe reactions. A federal trust fund pays billions of dollars to victims of vaccine injury across the United States.
IMPORTANT: COVID-19 Vaccine Injury Info
Reactions commonly associated with the flu shot include:
- Guillain-Barré Syndrome
- Bell’s Palsy
- SIRVA – Shoulder Injury
- Brachial Neuritis
- CIDP – Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
- ADEM – Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis
- Transverse Myelitis
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis
- Optic Neuritis – Neuromyelitis Optica
- Fainting – Syncope
- Dermatomyositis – JDM
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome – CRPS
- Multiple Sclerosis – MS
- Henoch-Schlönlein Purpura
- Aplastic Anemia
Guillain-Barré Syndrome GBS
GBS is an autoimmune disorder that causes your immune system to attack the protective layer around the nerves.
The symptoms of GBS can begin several days after a flu shot.
Are You Eligible to File a Flu Vaccine Injury Claim?
There are some basic requirements to be eligible to file a claim in the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program:
- The vaccine must be one of the types listed on the Vaccine Injury Table by the VICP.
- The claim must be filed within the statute of limitations. That means you have a short window of time to file a claim.
- The vaccine injury must last for at least 6 months after the vaccination was given.
- Or, the reaction to the vaccination resulted in a hospital stay and surgery
- Or, the reaction must have resulted in death.
- You must file a claim within a certain period of time. It’s best to discuss this with an attorney to know when the clock on your case started ticking.
What You Have to Prove in a Vaccine Injury Case
To get compensation from the court, you have to prove that there is a causal relationship between the vaccine and the injury. This means you must show that the vaccine triggered the injury. To do this, your attorney will present evidence like:
- Medical theories such as peer-reviewed, scientific studies showing a connection between a particular vaccine and a particular injury.
- A plausible series of events showing a cause-and-effect relationship between the vaccine and the injury
- A timeline that clearly connects the injury to the vaccine
Our Client Case Results
Our attorneys have won hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for our vaccine injury clients. See more than 600+ of our case results and their award amounts.
Having Trouble Deciding Who Will Represent You in Your Vaccine Case?
We make it easy with our simple guide to choosing the right lawyer for your vaccine case.
How Our Vaccine Injury Attorneys Can Help
Mctlaw currently represents hundreds of vaccine injury patients across the United States.
The attorneys at mctlaw have won more than $300-million in vaccine injury payouts and 100% of that money went directly to our clients. Our clients never pay a legal fee for our services, and we do not take any part of their financial award.
Not all attorneys are able to practice law before the Federal Vaccine Court. That’s why you should hire an attorney with extensive experience in this area of law. These are not simple personal injury cases. They are medically and scientifically complex.
The Influenza Vaccine and the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
According to the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the influenza vaccine has resulted in more individual compensation in the national vaccine injury program than any other vaccine.
Between 2006 and 2018, 3,456 petitioners were awarded compensation for flu vaccine-related injuries by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP)
Since 2017, the NVICP paid out over $775 million in compensation awards to vaccine injury victims.
Vaccine Injury from the Flu Shot?
There is a time limit to file a claim, so don’t wait to find out if you qualify.
About the Flu Vaccine
There are three main categories of flu shots available each year:
- Quadrivalent flu vaccines – Protect against four different strains of the flu
- Trivalent flu vaccines – Protects against three strains of the flu
- Recombinant flu vaccines – egg-free formula for patients with egg allergies.
Flu vaccines also come in a variety of names, depending who makes them. Some common influenza vaccines brand names include Alfluria, Fluarix, FluLaval, Flucelvax, Fluzone, Fluad, Flublok, and FluMist.
How the Flu Vaccine Works
Flu shots cause your body system to create antibodies to protect you in case you’re exposed to the influenza virus. The influenza vaccine is very effective at reducing your risk of getting the flu. However, in very rare cases, the flu vaccine can have unintended reactions, ranging from fainting to neurological damage.
Content Reviewed by Alison Haskins – Vaccine Injury Lawyer
Alison H. Haskins, Esq. represents clients and families across the United States who have been injured by adverse vaccine reactions. Prior to joining mctlaw, Ms. Haskins was a shareholder at a business and litigation law firm in Sarasota, Florida. She is admitted to the practice of law in the State of Florida in addition to being admitted to practice before the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, and before the United States Court of Federal Claims in Washington, DC.
This page was last updated:
Find out right now if you have a vaccine injury claim
Your Case Review is Free. Don’t Wait to Get Help Because There is a Deadline.
COVID-19 Vaccines are NOT Eligible
As an experienced leader in these types of lawsuits, we were confident the firm would have the expertise. However, what surprised us most was the high level of excellent customer service from the firm’s staff!Pat R.
I can’t recommend this firm enough. They have an outstanding team that truly care for their clients…I have been awarded a fair six figure settlement.Nate M.
When I say “they went to bat” for me…this Law Firm literally did just that. They persevered to bring the hard-nosed Manufacturer to settle and provide me some recompense for everything I had to endure which led to this suit.Me’Chelle