Derril B. Jordan is a senior Indian law attorney and partner with mctlaw, with almost 35 years of experience representing tribes as in-house counsel and in private practice. Mr. Jordan also served for several years as a presidential appointee in the Department of the Interior’s Office of the Solicitor, where he was the top lawyer for the Division of Indian Affairs. At mctlaw, Mr. Jordan now concentrates his practice on developing tribal enterprises, strengthening tribal governance, and improving government-to-government relationships between Indian tribes and the federal government.
As a tribal member himself, Mr. Jordan has dedicated his career to the representation of Indian tribes and the strengthening of tribal sovereignty. Mr. Jordan has served tribes in several capacities. He has been in-house counsel to three Native American tribes—the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe in Michigan; the Seneca Nation in New York; and the Quinault Indian Nation in Washington State. Mr. Jordan has also represented tribes across the nation as outside counsel, working on a wide variety of Indian law issues, including land claim litigation, gaming compact and ordinance approvals, trust land acquisitions, historic and cultural preservation issues, federal recognition and enrollment issues, and constitutional law and tribal code drafting. His extensive and diverse career has made him an experienced and effective advocate on behalf of tribes and tribal organizations.
Mr. Jordan is able to call on long-standing relationships between U.S. government officials and agency staff. He has represented tribal clients before the Departments of Interior, Justice, and Agriculture, among others. He has also represented tribes before Congress. During his time as the Associate Solicitor for Indian Affairs, he provided written and oral testimony before the Senate Indian Affairs Committee on sovereign immunity and gaming legislation, and prepared congressional testimony for other Departmental witnesses. He also testified before the Native American Affairs Subcommittee of the House of Representatives on gaming issues and proposed federal recognition legislation.
Derril B. Jordan knows firsthand about the most pressing issues facing Indian Country, and he brings vast knowledge and experience of those issues to mctlaw and his clients.
- Associate Solicitor for Indian Affairs at the United States Department of the Interior
- Attorney General of the Quinault Indian Nation
- Attorney General for the Seneca Nation of Indians
- Tribal Attorney for the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- New Mexico
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Seneca Nation of Indians, Peacemakers Courts
- Saginaw Chippewa Tribe
- Jicarilla Apache Nation
- Mattaponi Indian Tribe
- Juris Doctor from Cornell Law School
- Master of Social Work from Temple University
- Bachelor of Social Work, Cum laude, from Temple University
- Indian Law, Tribal Governance, and Native-Owned Businesses
- Indian Gaming
- Tribal Sovereignty
- SBA Small Business Programs
- Government Contracts
- Adjunct Professor of Law – Federal Indian Law at Cornell Law School (Fall 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2012)
- Adjunct Professor of Law – Federal Indian Law at State University of New York at Buffalo (Fall 1995)
- Derril Jordan and Dr. Don Zillioux, Eyes Wide Open: Tribal Economic Development for Those Who Would Rather Be Safe Than Sorry, Tribal Business Journal, October 2016
- Derril Jordan and Dr. Don Zillioux, Can I Get There From Here? The Need for Planning and Goal Setting, Tribal Business Journal, November 2016
- Derril Jordan and Don Zillioux, Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself, December 2016
- Valerie Red-Horse and Derril Jordan, Tribal Economic Diversification: Expanding Beyond Gaming, Casino Enterprise Management, October 2011
- Derill Jordan, Creating the Proper Legal Infrastructure for Economic Development, Gaming Capital Group, October 2016
Contact Us Now
My experience with mctlaw for my hip claim was remarkable, I found the communication to be outstanding. I also felt they did an excellent job setting expectations and then delivering on those stated expectations. From net amount, timing of the settlement, how much each related party would receive etc. they were outstanding. I would highly recommend them. They are very professional and set the bar in vaccine injury practice.
Five stars for mctlaw! Paralegal Leslie Williams did an outstanding job communicating with us and keeping us informed. Thanks for all the help.
I am excited to be receiving my final payment so I can put all this behind me. I am really grateful to everyone who played a part in getting me this well deserved settlement as my life has been negatively impacted over the years.
We cannot thank you enough for the services your firm has provided for Marie and I in our time of need. I could not have chosen a finer firm near or far to represent us.
John and Marie (Last Name Withheld for Privacy)
My first response is “Wow!” It has only been 11 months since I first heard of “SIRVA” and an HHS program that awarded compensation to its victims and only 7 months since MC&T accepted my case. I feel that your efforts on my part made all the difference.
Thanks to you I am living comfortably in my own home with assistance. After my devastating GBS diagnosis from the flu vaccine six years ago, I didn’t know what to do. Thank goodness I found you and your law firm. Thank you so much!
Name Withheld for Privacy
Alison is a phenomenal attorney… When she put together the demand letter she was able to explain what I had been through and how I had felt… I want to thank your firm but personally thank all that had a hand in resolving my case.
Name Withheld for Privacy
The past 10 months have been a whirlwind to say the least but we are truly thankful, grateful and appreciative of …all you have done for our family. This is truly life changing for us. The weight that this lifts off of our shoulders and the peace of mind it will give us….its priceless. So again, thank you.
Name Withheld for Privacy of a Minor Child
Thank you so much. It was so nice to deal with someone who treated us with respect and had a true interest in our future. This would not have happened without your hard work. Please tell anyone who helped with this that we truly appreciate it.
Martin (Last Name Withheld)
I am so grateful for all of your time and tireless work that you have put into resolving my case. Most sincere thanks.
I just wanted to thank you for your help over the past 3 years…Thank you for negotiating with the DOJ in order to get as much as we could under the circumstance…It has been a pleasure having you and your wonderful staff here to assist me in this long and tedious effort.
Name Withheld for Privacy
Thank you for all of your efforts all along to help resolve lifelong issues I will always have due to this defective implant. You have held my hand through a lot and each and everyone of you at MCT are appreciated for all of your efforts.
Name Withheld for Privacy
Mr. Maglio, I want you to know the appreciation I have for Diana Stadelnikas and her team for the effort they have put into my wife’s claim! The settlement negotiation they achieved (in a very frustrating situation) is outstanding! While there’s a way to go yet, I want to assure you will they have my full confidence and gratitude to the finish! I know you must be proud of your people!
I thank you so much for your diligent and hard work on my behalf. You are a thoroughly professional and pleasant person and I am grateful for having you on my case.