Altom (“Al” and “Tom” combined – the names of his grandfathers) represents families, companies, and tribal nations in complex civil litigation. Altom founded mctlaw in 1999. Today, the firm has an elite team of attorneys and other professionals representing clients throughout the nation and internationally from offices in Washington, DC; Seattle, Washington; and Sarasota, Florida.
Appointed to US Court of Federal Claims Advisory Council, Takings and Tribal Committee. Advises the Court of Federal Claims on the administration of the Court and the Court’s relation to the bar and to the public.”
Co-Chair of the American Association for Justice DePuy Metal on Metal Hip Replacement Litigation Group. The mission of the American Association for Justice is to promote a fair and effective justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests. Click here for a press release about Mr. Maglio’s election to the AAJ DePuy Metal on Metal Litigation Group.
Co-Chair of the American Association for Justice Vaccine Injury Litigation Group. The AAJ Vaccine Injury Litigation Group is comprised of trial lawyers representing patients that have suffered rare severe adverse reactions to vaccinations. The Vaccine Injury Litigation Group is actively educating members of Congress on the urgent need to provide more vaccine special masters to the Court of Federal Claims and to add coverage for COVID vaccine injuries to the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.
2016 President of the United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association. The United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association is a 501(c)(3) entity comprised of the private and Department of Justice attorneys that practice before the Court and supports the Court in its mission. The United States Court of Federal Claims is a federal court of national jurisdiction that hears cases involving certain claims against the United States. Elected to the Board of Governors of the bar association in 2012.
Appointed to the Personal Injury/Product Liability review team of the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies for the draft Guidelines Implementing the Discovery Proportionality Factors. Was the first witness to testify in opposition to the most recent proposed amendments to the federal rules of civil procedure, testifying before the Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts on November 7, 2013.
Founding officer of the Vaccine Injured Petitioner’s Bar Association based in Washington, DC. The bar association is comprised of attorneys that represent individuals suffering severe adverse vaccine reactions before the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Appointed by the Florida Supreme Court to serve as Chairman of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee from May 2004 to May 2005. The Twelfth Judicial Circuit Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of the unlicensed practice of law.
Appointed Chairperson of the Sarasota County Bar Association Attorney Referral Service Task Force from 2002 to 2004. The committee was charged with investigating and, if feasible, establishing an attorney referral service for the Sarasota County Bar Association.
Appointed to the Florida Bar Computer Law Committee from 1997 to 2000. The committee was responsible for overseeing the evolution and development of computer and Internet law in the State of Florida.
Appointed to the University of Florida College of Law Alumni Council from 1996 to 1999. The University of Florida College of Law Alumni Council is responsible for both fundraising and Alumni input into college administration.
Appointed to the Technology Committee of the Florida Bar Association from 1996 to 1997. The Technology Committee of the Florida Bar Association was responsible for the integration of technology into the judicial system of the State of Florida.
Chairman of the Sarasota County Bar Association Technology Committee from 1999 to 2002. Member of the Sarasota County Bar Association Technology Committee from 1996 to 2007. The Committee is responsible for all technology issues affecting the Sarasota County Bar Association.
- State of Florida
- District of Columbia
- State of New York
- State of Washington
- State of Maryland
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Association for Justice
- United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Vaccine Injured Petitioners Bar Association
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- PEOPIL: Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Taxpayers Against Fraud
- Gulf Coast CEO Forum
Founding partner of mctlaw from 1999 to present. The Firm consists of a highly experienced team of attorneys conducting complex civil litigation nationwide with offices in Sarasota, Florida; Washington, DC; and Seattle, Washington. Altom’s personal practice involves representing individuals and companies in litigation against the federal government, patients injured by medical products, and other complex litigation. In 2008, he personally filed the first lawsuit in the United States against a manufacturer regarding a defective metal-on-metal hip replacement. Altom has subsequently represented hundreds of patients with failed metal on-metal hip replacements in extensive litigation across the United States. On behalf of a client with a severe vaccine adverse reaction, after personally conducting a trial on causation, Altom obtained the largest judgment to date in the history of the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.
Litigator with the boutique law firm of Fogleman & Rosenkoetter, P.A., from 1996 to 1999, representing physicians in medical malpractice lawsuits and disciplinary proceedings throughout the State of Florida.
- Juris Doctorate degree awarded in 1996 from the University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida. Recipient of the Chester H. Ferguson Memorial Scholarship at the University of Florida College of Law.
- Bachelor of the Arts in the Social Sciences with an emphasis in Economics, Political Science, and History awarded in 1993 from New College of Florida, in Sarasota, Florida. New College is the honors college of the State of Florida University System. Senior thesis titled United States Involvement in Haiti During the Duvalier Regime.
Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Technology Law and Policy of the University of Florida College of Law, January 1996 to May 1996.
President of the Internet & Computer Law Association of the University of Florida College of Law, August 1995 to January 1996.
Organized and participated in the Haitian/Cuban Refugee Project in which University of Florida College of Law students were placed with firms and organizations to compose Haitian and Cuban refugees’ pleas for asylum, August 1993 to May 1995.
Editor-in-Chief of the Nerve, the New College campus newspaper. In charge of all aspects of funding, editing, layout, and production of the newspaper from August 1991 to December 1991. Graphics editor of the newspaper from January to May 1991. Staff-writer of the newspaper, August to December 1990.
- Featured Speaker: United States Vaccine Injury Compensation Program Intent, Standards, and Issues, PEOPIL Annual Conference in Malaga, Spain, October 16, 2021.
- Presenter: The Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association Conference, August 6, 2021.
- Continuing Legal Education Webinar Panelist: Covid-19 Vaccine Liability, Distribution, Legal Issues & Claims CLE, January 14, 2021
- Moderator: Vaccine Practice in the Age of COVID-19, United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association Webinar, July 14, 2020.
- American Association for Justice Webinar: Combating Defense Attacks on the Basis of Personal Jurisdiction, Sept. 23, 2019.
- Moderator: Utilizing Expert Witnesses in the Vaccine Program, United States Court of Federal Claims Webinar, April 17, 2019.
- Panelist: Perspectives on Effective Witness Preparation for Deposition and Trial, United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association Webinar, May 16, 2018.
- Moderator: Utilizing Expert Witnesses in the Vaccine Program, United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association Webinar, April 17, 2019.
- Access to Justice Webinar Series Panelist: Federal Rules Changes to Proportionality and Rule 26(b)(1), American Association for Justice, November 11, 2015.
- Presenter: Best Practices in Presenting Causation in Fact Cases, United States Court of Federal Claims 26th Annual Judicial Conference in Washington, DC, February 25, 2014.
- Panelist: Litigative Risk Settlements and Alternative Dispute Techniques in Resolving Cases in the Vaccine Program, United States Court of Federal Claims 24th Annual Judicial Conference in Berkeley, California on October 18th to 19th, 2011.
- Presenter: Litigation at Sunrise Presentation on Metal on Metal Hip Replacement Litigation, American Association for Justice 2010 Winter Convention,
- Talis Abolins and Altom Maglio, The 510(k) Loophole, Trial News: Washington State Association for Justice, Volume 54, No. 10, June 2019.
- Editor of the Sixth Edition of the Court of Federal Claims Bar Association Deskbook for Practitioners (2017).
- Altom M. Maglio, Rule 26(B)(1), One Year Later, Trial, Volume 52, No. 11, November 2016.
- Altom M. Maglio, Adapting to the Amended Federal Discovery Rules, Trial, Volume 51, No. 7, July 2015.
- Altom M. Maglio, The Changing Relationship of Law and Technology—The Judicial System’s Survival Is Dependent on Technology, 10 J. TECH. L. & POL’Y xiii, xiii (2005).
- Altom M. Maglio, The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program: What You Need to Know, The Florida Pediatrician, Volume XXII, Number 3, August
Contact Us Now
My experience with mctlaw for my hip claim was remarkable, I found the communication to be outstanding. I also felt they did an excellent job setting expectations and then delivering on those stated expectations. From net amount, timing of the settlement, how much each related party would receive etc. they were outstanding. I would highly recommend them. They are very professional and set the bar in vaccine injury practice.
Five stars for mctlaw! Paralegal Leslie Williams did an outstanding job communicating with us and keeping us informed. Thanks for all the help.
I am excited to be receiving my final payment so I can put all this behind me. I am really grateful to everyone who played a part in getting me this well deserved settlement as my life has been negatively impacted over the years.
We cannot thank you enough for the services your firm has provided for Marie and I in our time of need. I could not have chosen a finer firm near or far to represent us.
John and Marie (Last Name Withheld for Privacy)
My first response is “Wow!” It has only been 11 months since I first heard of “SIRVA” and an HHS program that awarded compensation to its victims and only 7 months since MC&T accepted my case. I feel that your efforts on my part made all the difference.
Thanks to you I am living comfortably in my own home with assistance. After my devastating GBS diagnosis from the flu vaccine six years ago, I didn’t know what to do. Thank goodness I found you and your law firm. Thank you so much!
Name Withheld for Privacy
Alison is a phenomenal attorney… When she put together the demand letter she was able to explain what I had been through and how I had felt… I want to thank your firm but personally thank all that had a hand in resolving my case.
Name Withheld for Privacy
The past 10 months have been a whirlwind to say the least but we are truly thankful, grateful and appreciative of …all you have done for our family. This is truly life changing for us. The weight that this lifts off of our shoulders and the peace of mind it will give us….its priceless. So again, thank you.
Name Withheld for Privacy of a Minor Child
Thank you so much. It was so nice to deal with someone who treated us with respect and had a true interest in our future. This would not have happened without your hard work. Please tell anyone who helped with this that we truly appreciate it.
Martin (Last Name Withheld)
I am so grateful for all of your time and tireless work that you have put into resolving my case. Most sincere thanks.
I just wanted to thank you for your help over the past 3 years…Thank you for negotiating with the DOJ in order to get as much as we could under the circumstance…It has been a pleasure having you and your wonderful staff here to assist me in this long and tedious effort.
Name Withheld for Privacy
Thank you for all of your efforts all along to help resolve lifelong issues I will always have due to this defective implant. You have held my hand through a lot and each and everyone of you at MCT are appreciated for all of your efforts.
Name Withheld for Privacy
Mr. Maglio, I want you to know the appreciation I have for Diana Stadelnikas and her team for the effort they have put into my wife’s claim! The settlement negotiation they achieved (in a very frustrating situation) is outstanding! While there’s a way to go yet, I want to assure you will they have my full confidence and gratitude to the finish! I know you must be proud of your people!
I thank you so much for your diligent and hard work on my behalf. You are a thoroughly professional and pleasant person and I am grateful for having you on my case.